Night before surgery
- No food or fluid after midnight the night before surgery, except for a sip of water to take your anti-inflammatory medication as directed under “Medications.”
- Arrange for a friend or family member to bring you and pick you from surgery. Also, arrange for a responsible adult to stay with you for at least 4 hours after surgery.
- The day before surgery the nurses will give you a call to go over your medical history, current medications, as well as give you an arrival time to check in at the surgery center. That time is usually 1 1/2 hr. (90 minutes) prior to your scheduled procedure. It may be as early as 5:45am. Surgery times may change due to unforeseen events. We will keep you informed if there are unexpected delays.
- If you do not follow these guidelines, your surgery may be cancelled. If there are necessary exceptions to these instructions, a nurse or the doctor from the surgery center will discuss them with you.
- If you smoke, you are advised to refrain from smoking the day before surgery.
On the day of surgery
- Please wear comfortable clothing, flat shoes, or slippers.
- Please bring a form of ID along with your insurance card.
- Leave your valuables at home.
- If you wear contacts, please remove them prior to surgery and please bring your glasses.
- If you child is undergoing surgery, please bring their blanket or toy. Also, please bring an approved car seat.
- The first post-operative appointment will be 5-7 days after surgery. We will remove the bandages and check the wound site. You can wash with soap and water; keep the wound site clean and dry. You will either begin Physical Therapy, have a splint made (depending on the type of surgery), or be given a Home Exercise Program (HEP) at the first therapy appointment.
- The 2nd post-operative appointment will be 10-14 days after surgery. We will remove the stitches at this time.
Anti-Inflammatory (for example: Relafen, Lodine, Motrin, Mobic, Celebrex etc.)
- Take one (1) pill the morning of surgery with a sip of water. Then one pill twice a day (one pill after breakfast and one pill after dinner with food) beginning the evening of your surgery.
Pain Medication (for example: Norco, Percocet etc.)
- Take one (1) pill every 4-6 hours for pain as needed. Please drink lots of water while taking your pain medications.